JUNE – BBQ time. Simple, easy and tasty!
Ultra Easy Chicken Pineapple Skewers – Serves 4
- 1 med sized green or red pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 400g boneless/ skinless chicken breast of thigh cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium tin [approx. 350g] pineapple pieces in juice
- 150g ready to use barbecue sauce [buy your favourite in the supermarket]
- 8 large wooden skewers
- Drain the juice from the pineapple and mix with barbecue sauce in a bowl, once mixed marinate diced chicken pieces for minimum 1 hour or in a fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to approx. 180C, soak the skewers in warm water for approx. 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is marinated thread with pineapple, onion and pepper onto the skewers, brush the whole threaded skewer with remaining marinade and place on a shallow baking tray.
- Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes, basting occasionally with the cooking liquor.
- Once cooked serve while still piping hot.
Serving suggestion – Serve with your favourite salad, slaw and an oven-baked jacket or sweet potato.
Chef’s Tip – if the weather is hot, why not invite a few friends and barbecue outside. Just remember to turn the chicken skewers, cooking for 5 to 10 minutes on each side over hot charcoals.
Always check that the chicken is fully cooked with the juices running clear and no visual pinkness in the meat.