You might have noticed that in the past couple of weeks England has been seriously WARM. Even though the weather has turned slightly grim at the moment, exams out of the way and fingers crossed the sunshine will come out again!
With this in mind, here are my top 5 nutrition tips for the summer;
- Get outdoors – try to get active outside where you can! Our main source of Vitamin D comes from the sun, hence why it’s also known as the ‘sunshine vitamin’. We can synthesise vitamin D underneath our skin, which plays a vital function in helping our bodies to absorb calcium, protecting bones and aiding muscular strength
- Stay hydrated – in hot weather we must ensure that we drink enough to stay hydrated, especially when we sweat more. Dehydration can cause us to feel thirsty, dizzy, tired and bad tempered. Aim to drink around 1.6-2 litres per day if you can – for more info on hydration please see my ‘Drink Up’ blog from the April series
- Don’t skip breakfast – we should always make sure we eat breakfast regardless of the time of year, however with the longer days and hours of light available to us, we are more likely to be out and about for longer; hence why it’s even more important to start the day off right!
- Snack on seasonal foods – these tend to be cheaper, locally sourced and more flavoursome than other foods not in season. Plant-based foods get their nourishment from the sun/soil so choosing freshly picked foods from your local area will leave you with tasty colourful cheap produce! Why not give blackberry/blackcurrant picking a go yourself!
- Skin savers – whilst it’s important to get some vitamin D from the sun, we still need to be mindful of the sun’s strong rays and wear sun cream and reapply often to protect us from getting burnt. Another way to make our skin glow in the summer is to eat a variety of foods from each food group in the right proportions (check out Megs Eatwell Guide blog for more info). Certain vitamins & minerals have an important part to play in skin health, such as vitamins A, C & E so make sure you eat your 5 a day wherever possible!